Originating from Peru the best Cajon’s have successfully flourished its way in the contemporary market of musical instrument. Various brands & companies manufacturing the best Cajon box drum have managed to surpass the quality and design of different competitors. For a seemingly best drum box instrument, Cajon have surprisingly powered its popularity and growth, through its fantastic feel and touch, over the last 200 years.
Cajon is a popular percussion instrument, commonly known as the drum box, with a history, that lies way back to the 18th century. It owes its existence to the African slaves, who were restricted from playing the drums in South America. This outlawry led to the invention of these drums boxes, and since then, there is an unstoppable demand and zest for this best Cajon drum instrument.
We are here to present you the top-rated Cajon drums available in the market with its distinct features and reviews from the best Cajon brands:
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Cajon Review
- 1.1 Roland ELCajon Electronic Layered Cajon Natural EC-10
- 1.2 Meinl Percussion Jumbo Bass Subwoofer Cajon
- 1.3 Meinl Cajon Box Drum with Internal Metal Strings for Adjustable Snare Effect
- 1.4 Schlagwerk Cajon Beechwood Large CP4005
- 1.5 Schlagwerk CP404-BLK 2inOne Black Edition Cajon
- 1.6 LP Americana Groove Wire Cajon LP1427
- 1.7 A Tempo Percussion Peruvian Classic Cajon
- 1.8 Meinl Percussion Slaptop Cajon Box Drum
- 1.9 Meinl Percussion Cajon with Internal Metal Strings for Adjustable Snare Effect
- 1.10 Toca TCCJ-GN Colorsound Cajon
- 1.11 Meinl Percussion Cajon Box Drum with Internal Snares and FREE Bag
- 1.12 LP Black Box String Cajon LP1428NYBS
- 1.13 Sawtooth Harmony Series Hand Stained Elephant Design Travel Size Cajon
- 1.14 Pyle Jam Wooden Cajon Stringed Percussion Box (PCJD18)
- 1.15 Meinl Cajon Box Drum with Internal Snares
- 1.16 Sawtooth ST-CJ120B Cajon Birch Wood
- 2 How to Choose Good Cajon
- 2.1 Composition Of Cajon
- 2.2 Quality Of Cajon Drum Box:
- 2.3 Type Of Cajon Available In The Market:
- 2.4 How to select your suitable Cajon:
Best Cajon Review
Apprehending the popular demand for Cajon, we are here to help you with the best Cajon that have successfully managed to appear in our top 16 list. All these drum boxes have their own limitations, but they are all excellent performers with great sound and a wide tonal range. So, without any further ado, let’s indulge in this class of best Cajon drum for the money you invest:
Roland ELCajon Electronic Layered Cajon Natural EC-10
EC-10 is one of the fantastic products by Roland, with a unique combination of Roland’s electronic percussion technology and authentic acoustic vibes. One of its excellent features is the in-built speakers that yield superb bass and a wide tonal-range of music. The acoustic touch of this Cajon enhances the authenticity of this instrument.
Its dual power feature, i.e. it can operate on AC power or it can run on batteries, grants its users with an uninterrupted experience of music. The high-quality sound control system, mounted on the top of this Cajon, is dedicatedly designed for an effortless service to its player.
With an appealing, stable and classy design, EC-10 has gained an excellent reputation of being amongst the top-rated Cajon drums by several Cajon enthusiasts. So, go ahead and try out this electro-acoustic hybrid, and you won’t be disappointed.
- High-quality electro-acoustic hybrid makes it an ideal choice for buskers.
- Dual power amp/speaker feature yields an uninterrupted experience.
- Enhanced musical experience via the incorporated studio-optimized Cajon sounds.
- Works well for on-stage performances.
- With so many features included in this product, it fails to specialize in any of them.
- Bass sound is far better when compared to its snare yields.
Meinl Percussion Jumbo Bass Subwoofer Cajon
Meinl is one of the top Cajon brands that adorn its consumer with best Cajon for the money, and Jumbo Bass Cajon is not an exception to it.
With such a gigantic built and an excellent bass quality, Jumbo Bass Cajon lives up to its name.
It’s wide and deep body along with the walnut front plate have immensely enhanced the sensitivity and dynamics of this drum box. One of its captivating features is its forward sound ports unlike the rear sound outlets in traditional Cajon, giving it a remarkably improved bass and amplification. Moreover, the internally fixed snare wires elevate the crisp tones and rhythms of this drum box. Along with all these, the two-year manufacturer’s warranty for this product makes it one the best-rated Cajon drums.
- The front-facing sound ports can enhance the experience for the audience, especially when a microphone is placed facing these ports which renders an excellent sound amplification.
- The rear handle at the back of the MDF body improves the portability of this Cajon.
- Backed up by a two-year warranty, the walnut front face, the intricate snares along with a resonating MDF body and rubber feet, qualifies this drum as one of the best drums available at its price.
- More inclined to be used by a stomper than a tapper.
- The wooden faced panel on a fiberglass box doesn’t hold the same warmth and sound as of an all-wood Cajon.
- Snares are not adjustable thus restricting the tuning of the instrument.
Meinl Cajon Box Drum with Internal Metal Strings for Adjustable Snare Effect
This instrument by Meinl is a sturdy wooden drum box with an intact authenticity and sound quality of a classic Cajon. It has a complementing bass and snare zones which generates a deep bass and crisp tone respectively.
One of the striking features of this drum box is its adjustable top and metal strings, which allow the player to adjust the top screws which can alter the percussion effect as well as tune the snare sound using an included hex key.
The two-year warranty for this solid hardwood rubber feet body surely qualifies this product to be reputed as the best Cajon for the beginners at a cheap price.
- A great authentic sound at such a reasonable price makes it the best Cajon under 100.
- Adjustable top corner and internal string add to the versatility of this Cajon.
- The look is exceptionally sober and lacks any decorative touch.
- This instrument has intricate interiors, that needs proper care.
Schlagwerk Cajon Beechwood Large CP4005
Schlagwerk is well-known for its fine craftsmanship and its specialty in Cajon strings. It’s distinct sound, and snare quality has excellently managed to maintain its reputation as a good Cajon brand for about 20 years.
The playing surface is made up of beechwood complemented by a 7 layered Gabon wood body. Handcrafted by the skilled workers in Germany, this rich bass, strong tonal Cajon is claimed to be among the top-rated Cajon in the market.
- Extremely versatile tuning, which elevates the dynamic essence of this instrument.
- It is slightly shorter than the standard-sized Cajon making it more comfortable to sit and play.
- Bass and snares have immense scope for improvement.
- The design is dull and looks inexpensive.
Schlagwerk CP404-BLK 2inOne Black Edition Cajon
CP404 is one of the premium products by Schlwagwerk. It’s neat and comfortable design makes it a desired drum box amongst Cajon’s enthusiast. Its Beachwood front plate and birch’s 8 ply body is a perfect reflection of Schlager’s craftsmanship and dedication.
The main attraction is its 2in1 technology designed with 40 snares that are perfectly angled to deliver crisp and flare music. The snares can be removed instantaneously, which makes the instrument behave like a traditional Cuban.
- High-quality drum box with perfectly shaped edges and corners.
- It is fairly versatile with excellent workmanship that allows you to remove the snares completely.
- Lacks proper cushioning pad that otherwise allowed for players to sit comfortably.
- Snares are not adjustable.
LP Americana Groove Wire Cajon LP1427
This is one of the best Cajon for the price available in the market. It has a deep low tone and sharp snare sound that makes it a favorite choice for a lot of people. The resonant body is designed using birch that provides excellent durability and strength to this Cajon.
Designed in the USA, this drum box is embarked with a classy wooden look with smooth and neat corners. Surely, LP1247 will add a unique touch to your music collection and is worth each penny.
- One of the best sounding Cajon with extreme durability and sturdiness.
- With pre-tuned and ready to use features, this is one of the best Cajon for beginners.
- Blends well in acoustic or jamming scenarios.
- Snares inside the Cajon are adjustable.
- Not provided with a cushion or pad for comfortable sitting.
A Tempo Percussion Peruvian Classic Cajon
Undoubtedly, this Peruvian Classic Cajon is reputed as the best Cajon for beginners because of its uncomplicated and basic design. It is more like a traditional Cajon without any snares but with a thick, distinctly defined bass. Built with Lupuna plywood and Spanish Cedar tapa, this Cajon has a neat finish and classic touch.
This is one of those rare Cajon that comes with a super handy gig bag which cuts off your expenses to arrange for its portability.
- Easy to learn and play, this makes it apt for the beginners.
- Excellent quality to sturdy and firm design.
- Includes a gig bag that aids portability.
- It does not contain snares which highly restricts the population that would use it.
- Slightly expensive for such a simple and straightforward design.
Meinl Percussion Slaptop Cajon Box Drum
Meinl is one of the top Cajon brands, that is the reason why most of its product have found their way up into this list. With a unique design at such a reasonable price, Slaptop Cajon drum has projected itself as a top class, highly likeable percussion instrument.
It features a front-facing sound and bass vents that elevates the musical experience of the player as well as the listeners. With snares on both sides and deep bass in the middle, the walnut front face gifts its player with a beautiful amalgam of Flamenco and Peruvian tunes. This ergonomically designed Cajon backed up by generous warranty by Meinl makes this Cajon one of the best drum box in the market.
- Highly comfortable, unlike the traditional Cajon that requires an inclined position for slaps.
- Negligible snare wire sound in the drum portion like most other Cajon.
- Includes a 2-year warranty, when purchased from authorized dealers.
- Good for mellow tunes and demands heavy beating for louder volume output.
- The player and its audience hear slightly different sounds due to the forward facing sound ports and acoustic features of the room.
Meinl Percussion Cajon with Internal Metal Strings for Adjustable Snare Effect
Here is another product by Meinl, with an unstained superior sound and design quality, just like its other productions. The sturdy textured MDF body with stained American White Ash front plate adds to the enriched sound and bass effect to this Cajon.
Like most of the efficient Cajon, there are adjustable metal strings inside the drum that are used to tune the snare sound, and along with this, the drum sound can also be adjusted by working around with the screws located at the front face. The sound port is located at the rear end which welcomes the use of mic for further amplification.
- When purchased from an authorized dealer, you can enjoy a warranty of 2 years.
- The stained American White Ash front plate gives add to the aesthetic and gives it a classy look.
- The four rubber feet provide stability and resistance against vibration.
- Not a professional Cajon but fair enough concerning its price.
- There can be an unwanted rattle in the snares which may require fixing.
Toca TCCJ-GN Colorsound Cajon
The brand itself claims this product to be the best Cajon for the beginners and probably that’s right. It has fresh colors and all-wood design that renders a flashy yet simple look. The Para-wood front plate elevates the bass and sound quality of this instrument.
Though it has an uncomplicated design, it incorporates two snare strings that also gives it an urban touch of crisp sound.
Overall, with a simple design and excellent sound, this product is apt for beginners.
- It has a flashy colorful look.
- Simple design with ease of playing and learning.
- Suitable for beginners.
- Doesn’t works for professional purposes
- Expensive for its quality.
Meinl Percussion Cajon Box Drum with Internal Snares and FREE Bag
Meinl is top-rated Cajon drum bands that produce the best Cajon for the price. Meinl Cajon drum box is irrevocably the best Cajon under 100 that is available in the market. Even though it’s a cheaply priced drum box, the red wine birch wood body des does not reflect its price. It also includes a set of internal snare wires that produces crisp and quality sound (bass and snare both).
Meinl has showered its user with a free high-quality sturdy Cajon bag along with its two years warranty on this instrument. With all these perks and benefits, Meinl Cajon drum box qualifies to be a top-rated Cajon in this market.
- Includes a durable and high-quality Cajon gig bag.
- Light weighted even with a sturdy and classy built.
- Best Cajon for its price.
- Also provides a 2-year warranty when purchased from an authorized seller.
- Not very sensitive to touch or finger rolls.
- The separation between bass and snare sound is not clear.
LP Black Box String Cajon LP1428NYBS
Made in the USA, this Cajon comes with an antique look and feel. This Spanish style Cajon possesses an MDF built body and a Baltic birch soundboard that delivers sustained and balanced tunes.
One of the striking features is the Adamas Phosphor Bronze Strings as compared to the traditional metallic wires in most of the Cajon. This string endows a different experience to its user with a more clean sound and cut snare sound as well.
- It’s a durable product with an antique touch and feel.
- The phosphor bronze wires give a different experience to the player.
- Not a professional instrument but suitable for small gigs.
- The snares are not adjustable.
Sawtooth Harmony Series Hand Stained Elephant Design Travel Size Cajon
Sawtooth Harmony Cajon is an excellent Cajon for your child, with a beautiful hand-painted elephant that symbolises the Sawtooth Harmony Series. Its compact and tiny design makes it suitable for kids. It is an all-wood drum box with six precisely spaced coiled snare wires for a uniform and fair sound. The slap sound gains its diversity from the adjustable front face.
With a small and compact design, this Cajon is ideal for travelling and kids to learn and play this instrument.
- Suitable for children and trips, as it is light, portable and compact.
- It has a robust bass note.
- Snare wires are not adjustable.
- Bass and snare sound can be improved a lot.
Pyle Jam Wooden Cajon Stringed Percussion Box (PCJD18)
Pyle’s Stringed Jam Cajon is one of the top-rated Cajons in the market.
It has a clean finish and excellent sound quality coupled with rubber feet that ensures the stability and quality of this Cajon. This Cajon is hand-crafted with sturdy birch wood along with adjustable snare wires that let its player afford a desirable turning.
Overall, it’s a great Cajon at a good price with a light yet classy design.
Moreover, Pyle offers a one year warranty on this product, which is a fair deal.
- Backed up with a one year warranty.
- Adjustable snares facilitate desired tuning.
- Not suitable for professional use.
- The exterior is susceptible to scratches.
Meinl Cajon Box Drum with Internal Snares
It is one of the most compact and portable drum box by Meinl. It is constructed using Baltic birch wood which ensures warm tones and punchy bass. The internal snares are fixed using a thin layer of mesh fabric that delivers consistent, crisp and responsive tunings. It also features four rubber feet that nullify the vibration while the box is played.
Overall, a great product with a rear sound port that enriches the user with a great musical experience.
- Includes a two-year warranty.
- Excellent feature at a reasonable price.
- Compact and portable with a sturdy design.
- It has an embarrassing loud sound.
- Lacks padding that makes it uncomfortable for a lot of players.
Sawtooth ST-CJ120B Cajon Birch Wood
Sawtooth delivers this Cajon at a reasonable price without compromising on quality or sound effects of the drum box. It is a box drum that you sit on because it is well cushioned and renders a comfortable experience. It is constructed using birch wood that ensures sturdiness and also features adjustable snare wires along with a flexible front plate.
ST-CJ120B is a good Cajon at a reasonable price with all the adjustments and versatility incorporated in it. Moreover, it also comes with a carry bag that improves its portability.
- Good quality Cajon at a price less than 100.
- Includes a bag that allows easy transport.
- Snares and bass flexibility is well incorporated.
- Not as responsive as traditional Cajon, though fair to its price.
- Design and finishing aren’t up to the mark.
How to Choose Good Cajon
All the above reviews empower you with a good idea about the top Cajon brands that are available in the market, but before you decide to choose one of them, it is essential to have prior knowledge of their variety, quality, and type.
So, Cajon, as you might have figured by now, is a wood drum box that produces many tones and bass by striking at its different parts. It is a popular musical tool that each of us would adore having one. But before you leap into its purchasing details, it’s essential to have a brief idea about nature, quality and most important the variety of the instruments that are present in the market with the drum box reviews given by the users.
So let’s indulge in understanding the quality and classes of Cajon that can help you understand the aspects you need to inspect before you purchase one of these drum boxes:
Composition Of Cajon
Peruvian drum box dates back to 200 years, probably one of the oldest classic styles of this genre. Peruvian Cajon does not have any snare wires fused within, but it necessarily has perfectly cornered shape that yields excellent bass.
With the help of this Cajon, you can skill yourself to learn Afro-Peruvian music, that will surely sway you back to the oldest and cultural musical feelings of the 17th century.
Flamenco Cajons owes it birth to the legendary, Paco DeLucia, who charmed up a regular Cajon by adding some guitar strings to it.
This is one the famous variety in Cajon mainly because it can be tuned to your desired snare sound while preserving the traditional Cajon’s feel and touch. It is available at a reasonable rate in the market and shows an upward trend in terms of demand and popularity.
This is the latest version in Cajons that have flourished all over the market.
Snare Cajons are super popular for their excellent snare sound and versatile dynamics in music. They are easy to operate, loud and allow further amplification.
Snare Cajons are basically the instrument of the modern era with new polished techniques and looks.
All the above Cajon allows the player to sit and play, but Cuban Cajon has a different style. They are primarily placed between your legs and player is seated on a separate table or couch. These Cajon lack snares but have a good deep sound.
This is also called a 5-sided Cajon because of its construction and specializes in Afro-Cuban music.
Quality Of Cajon Drum Box:
The quality of best rated Cajon drum depends on the type of wood used for its construction:
Beech is widely used for making Cajons as it offers a wide variety of musical o the box. From low high sound-ranged Cajon, beech can be an ideal composition.
A lot of famous brands opt for birch to construct their Cajon mainly because it is sturdy and delivers a mellow sound effect. It is slightly expensive but adds a classy look to these drum boxes. Moreover, this also makes the box sturdy and reliable, as the player sits and plays this instrument.
Oak is really tough and adds significant volume to the Cajon that are constructed using it. Players widely use it in concerts or stage jamming because of its highly enhanced sound effects.
Maple Cajons are really solid and robust and thus used for the construction of guitars, drums, and Cajons.
These Cajons have excellent resonating effects and great sound transmitting quality.
Mahogany Cajon are rich in bass and can smoothly attain higher frequency and thereby making the instrument apt for professionals.
Type Of Cajon Available In The Market:
The journey of a Cajon from its traditional style to the hybrid electro-acoustic version is embarked upon by a variety of Cajon drums. Each of these drums has its own style and features.
Cajon drums are the essence of the first invented original Cajon. It’s a traditional regular-sized drum usually with six sides and a vent at the rear end for the sound effect. Nowadays, Cajon drums are enhanced with snares and various other technologies, to enrich the musical experience of its players.
Slap-Top Cajon is an upgraded version of the traditional Cajon, with increased attention to its player’s comfort and ease. It is has a modified playing surface that is closer to the player allowing the player to play for a more extended period as well as it enhances the musical experience of the audience.
This Cajon is a beautiful blend of two different tones; one that associates with the Cajon and the other replicates the sound and style of bongo drums. This unique blend has been accepted widely by the Cajon enthusiast all over the world.
The Latin musical feel and vibes inspire these Cajon. Though they are not very flashy or decorative by design, they have an excellent Conga sound that enhances the musical experience for this instrument.
Designed with a unique composition of wood and animal skin, Bata Cajon is known for its indigenous origin and unusual sound and tonal qualities.
How to select your suitable Cajon:
The purpose or ideas before you purchase the best Cajon for the price is immensely important. So here are some useful tips and suggestions that can help you find your perfect drum box:
Now, Cajons like every other musical instrument has a wide range of variety from simple to gigantic drum boxes. So, first decide the purpose, whether it’s for beginners or professional use and depending on this, choose your perfect Cajon drum box.
This is important because it helps you to cut down the unnecessary expense along with this; it gives you a clear idea of the features that satisfy your interest.
Depending on your audience, you need to decide the bass, snare quality and volume of your Cajon. While performing in a room or your house, you may opt for a well-built evenly balanced bass/snare effect whereas for a stage or a concert you might choose a mammoth-sized high volume and deep, bold bass Cajon.
This helps you to find the best product under a perfect range that fulfills your need as well have all the expected features and sound effects.
This is essential because a lot of brands such as Meinl offer best cheap Cajon at a very reasonable price.
Independent of the above three conditions, always bargain for the best quality Cajons. Inspect its snare and bass tones and wisely monitor their balancing effects. Some of these box drums that you sit on, are built in a fashion wherein the bass exceeds the snare sound or vice versa; so choose such Cajons based on your demands or needs.
With all these guidance and market reviews in this article, we are sure that you will make a wise decision for your purchase. However, the choice of music is entirely subjective; it depends on the way you perceive and resonates with it. So buy a Cajon that soothes your ears and enjoy the perks on this musical journey.
Music helps us to sway off our bad mood or stress and what can be a better option than best sounding Cajon, which is such a fun and exciting musical instrument. It is easy to learn and a blast to play. A lot of players have shared their thrilling experience of how they fell in love with this drum box by merely sitting on it and enjoying their slow slaps and touches on this box. Playing the best Cajon box drum can be an overwhelming experience for you too. Give it a try and see how magically it uplifts your mood and your surroundings.
We are here to help you with all the best Cajon from a beginners level to the pro styles, all you need to do is decide, select and purchase. Till then to all the Cajon players out there; Happy drumming!